Re: Do I have an ssh problem?

On Mon, 2007-09-10 at 10:26 -0700, John Wendel wrote:
> Steven W. Orr wrote:
> > On Monday, Sep 10th 2007 at 08:53 +0100, quoth Andy Green:
> >
> > =>Somebody in the thread at some point said:
> > =>> I have a core 4 box that has behaved admirably for a long time. I just
> > =>> added an F7 box where SE is disabled.
> > =>>
> > =>> Here's my problem. On the F7 box, I just happen to have a half dozen
> > =>> files that are about 8Gig. When I try to transfer a file using scp to
> > =>> the FC7 box ssh, the F7 box just crashes. Sometimes it crashes around
> > =>> 300M, sometimes 300M, my latest died at 567M.
> >
> > Mea culpa. I meant to say that I was transferring from f7 to the FC4 box.
> >>From FC4, the command was:
> >
> > scp pluto:/tmp/file.iso .
> >
> > =>> F7 happens to have two NICs and the crash happens regardless of which
> > =>> NIC I use. (I tried both hoping that it might be a hardware problem, but
> > =>> I won't buy that both are bad.) Smaller transfers and regular network
> > =>> traffic work just fine. There is nothing in syslog on either side when
> > =>> it happens.
> > =>
> > =>Doubt it's anything to do with scp or ssh, it sounds more like a generic
> > =>memory or heat problem, or an issue with the NIC or HDD controller
> > =>driver under load.  Can you see the F7 box video output in text mode and
> > =>see if it blows a panic?  You can also try monitoring
> > =>/proc/acpi/thermal_zone/*/temperature on the F7 box in another ssh
> > =>session while the transfer progresses.
> >
> > Thanks Andy. Good idea. I'll try that next shot.
> >

> Don't have an answer, just a confirmation that I have the exact same
> problem here.
>
> I'm running 2 FC6 boxes. Each has a VIA based motherboard, with the
> on-chip NIC and a Nat Semi add on NIC. Got a mix of PATA and SATA
> disks on both boxes.
>
> I get random lockups on the machine that initiates the file transfer.
> No panic, just a hard lockup. The receiving machine is still working fine.
>
> I've got new cables, and a straight thru cable (bypassing my router),
> and I've tried all combinations of NIC connections. Usually breaks at
> some point (usually after a Gig or so has transferred). Small
> transfers and other network traffic work fine.
>
> CPU temp 25 - 30 C. I've got lots of fans!
>
> I've learned to live with it.
>
> Regards,
>
> John

I had the same problem on FC6.  I asked lots of questions got lots of
advice leading to iptables in the firewall being part of the problem.
Finally I turned off the firewall, and things worked ok.  I am now
slowly going through the iptables and playing with combinations, to see
what in there is mucking up the transfers.  But it seems related to
several things affecting different bits of the process.
I can't isolate it well yet.

If you have a separate firewall isolating you from the net threats as I
do, then you can pretty safely turn off the machines firewall and see if
it helps.

Regards,
Les H