Re: NetworkManager, wlan0 doesn't come up by default

On Mon, 2007-09-10 at 17:43 -0300, Martin Marques wrote:
> Aaron Konstam escribió:
> > On Mon, 2007-09-10 at 11:10 -0300, Martin Marques wrote:
> >> I'm using NetworkManager on my laptop and I have some problems which I
> >> haven't been able to solve.
> >>
> >> Normal eth0 comes up ok, but wlan0 doesn't. I have to login as root or
> >> sudo to bring wlan0 interface up (ifconfig wlan0 up) so that
> >> NetworkManager can connect to my AP.
> >>
> >> Any ideas on why I have this problem? The wlan0  configuration is set to
> >> start at boot time.
> > Does nm-applet show you your wireless AP?
>
> How could it if there is no wireless device to look through. iwconfig
> doesn't show the wlan0 as it hasn't been loaded.
>
> BTW, I have an alias to wlan0 in /etc/modprobe.conf

You are looking at this wrong. Here is my relevant modprobe.conf lines.

alias eth0 tg3
alias eth1 ipw2200

It is the module for the wireless NIC that is loaded not anything called
eth1. eth1 is created when the connection is made by NM.

Unfair animal names: -- tsetse fly -- bullhead -- booby -- duck-billed
platypus -- sapsucker -- Clarence -- Gary Larson