Re: Fedora philosophy (was ATI video comes out of the closet)

On Monday September 10 2007 3:43:51 pm Chris Jones wrote:
> Yes, that is essentially what the livna rpm does. I think it
> does a little more than that, some service now runs at boot up
> which dynamically enables the nvidia libraries + xorg.conf on
> the fly, so if for instance for some reason the kernel mod
> isn't available at boot time the fallback nv driver works as
> expected.

I've said this several times before, but it bears repeating. For
the nVidia proprietary driver, in my view, the best solution by
far is the one available from freshrpms - their nvidia driver
package also plays nice with Fedora and quickly lets you revert
to the nv driver in the event of problems, AND, if you also
install the dkms package, also available at freshrpms, you never
have to worry about the kernel-module again. When a new kernel
gets installed by an update, dkms detects that during reboot,
and dynamically builds a new kernel-module for that kernel as
your machine is coming back up. I have multiple machines using
this setup and I've never had it fail in nearly two years of
using it. The first time you do this you have to also install
the kernel-headers package for your kernel - subsequent updates
will then update that package along with the kernel whenever a
new one is released as they are always released at the same
time. I never build new kernel-modules, nor wait for new ones to
be released - what could be simpler?

--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA