Re: a question about udev rule 50-libsane.rules

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Sctot, is the scanner symlink being created? If not, then that needs
> to be fixed in order for console.perms to work correctly. The other
> choice is to change the udev rule so it creates a different symlink
> - maybe brother, and has MODE="0666" as part of the rule.
>
> SYSFS{idVendor}=="<brother vender id>", SYSFS{idProduct}=="<240c
> product ID>", MODE="0666", SYMLINK+="brother-%k"
>
> Also, changing or adding a udev rule will not affect an existing
> device. So you will have to unplug the printer, wait 30 second of
> more, and plug it back in.
>
> The console.perms sets the permissions of the scanner to 600, but it
> also sets the owner to the user currently logged into the console,
> or root if there is no user logged in. The theory behind this is
> that only the person logged in at the local machine should be using
> the scanner. If you are sure you want to change this, you can add a
> file /etc/security/console.perms.d/60-scanner.perms and put in a
> line "<console>  0600 <scanner>    0666 root". The 0600 is the
> permissions when someone is logged into the console, and the 0666 is
> when no-one is. Change the 0600 to 0666 if you want everyone to have
> access all the time. This is supposed to overrule the scanner rule
> in 50-default.perms, but I have not tested it.
>
> Mikkel

Something strange happened to this message - I didn't spell Scott
wrong in the original message. It also seams to have 2 GPG
signatures. In any case, it fails the GPG test.

"Error - signature verification failed; click Pen icon for details"

Then again, the message I was replying to was attached to the wrong
thread. Time to chase the gremlins out again! :)

Mikkel