Re: ATI video comes out of the closet

On Saturday 08 September 2007, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-09-08 at 15:22 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
> > I want a stable kernel and device drivers. The unix-like system call
> > interface doesn't need to change every week.

> You've used similar phrases a few times in this and related threads, and
> it prompts a question:

> Is this hyperbole, or are you really suggesting that every time a new
> kernel install requires a recompile of an external driver or binary
> driver shim, that it's because the API has changed?

Run VMware workstation on a Fedora machine, going through the kernel updates,
and then get back to me (or VMware server, it has the same problems).  And
the problem isn't with the binary parts; it is with the open-source parts.  I
shouldn't have to recompile stuff every kernel revision.

The short of it: even Linus will admit that the 2.6 kernel series is not
stable between versions; not only does he admit it, but he likes it and
thinks it is a good thing.  Not only does the binary interface change, the
source interface changes.  Go to the vmware forums and search
on 'vmware-any-any' and read the threads.

It's not limited to Fedora, either; Ubuntu does the same thing.  It's an
upstream (kernel) disease that has decreed that ABI and API compatibility is
not important between new versions.

So between 2.6.19 and 2.6.20 a source patch had to be made to the open-source
portions of vmware workstation (and vmware server) to get it to even compile;
between 2.6.20 and 2.6.21 the same thing.  Between 2.6.21 and 2.6.22 the same
thing.  It's bad enough to have to recompile every time a new kernel is
sucked in by yum; it's worse when you have to track down what has changed and
how to patch the vmware source to be able to recompile.  I just track the
vmware-any-any patches and stay a week or so behind on kernel updates; I
don't have time to dig into the kernel changelog to see what they changed
this week.  And, of course, I only run Fedora 7 on development
desktops/laptops; the servers get CentOS, not Fedora, and production desktops
get something else.

I want the same thing Les wants: a stable kernel and newer, frequently updated
userland. The CentOS Plus repo begins to get it; for KDE stuff KDE-Redhat
installed on CentOS gets it.  In fact, KDE-Redhat on a CentOS base is just
about ideal, if you use KDE (and I do); this is what I put on my production
desktops that run Linux.

Incidentally, Les is quite active over on the CentOS lists, so, he's well
aware of that option.

Oh, just in case you are wondering about my 'history' check out the changelog
for the PostgreSQL RPM's prior to version 8.0.
--
Lamar Owen
Chief Information Officer