Re: A little tip (and maybe a request for quality control?)

Ian Malone wrote:
Tim wrote:
How's that different from not playing with gain, and ripping/encoding
them as they are?

Well, albums have different overall levels, making some a lot louder than others (rock albums for instance.) Vorbisgain makes this difference smaller, but retains the dynamic differences between the songs on an album if used in the correct mode.

Perfectly explained.  Some albums use full dynamic range of the
medium, some are heavily dynamically compressed so they sound loud
all the way through.  When you use replaygain you set the player
volume control to the volume you want to listen to and one album
doesn't sound louder than another.  (Google volume wars)

As an article found googling for volume wars explains, there can be a problem with clipping of the peaks in the music, creating clicks or worse artifacts in the sound. That was the reason I started using vorbisgain. Some music I listen to varies a LOT in volume throughout a tune and the result was terrible. Vorbisgain analyses both overall level and peaks, so after using it, the music sounded a lot better.

I guess the kind of music played will determine whether it is noticeable, and thereby vorbisgain's usefulness. Only YOUR ears can tell.

Here's the article: http://www.geekrants.com/articles/mastering.html

Frode