Re: Successful install of Fedora7 in VPC2007 guest

On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 00:28:01 -0700, Les <hlhowell@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>On Sat, 2007-09-08 at 08:41 +0200, Bo Berglund wrote:

>> >The reason that you need root's password to run Soundcard Detection
>> >is that you are modifying files that only root is allowed to write
>> >to. You are also loading a kernel module, again requiring root
>> >permission. Console.perms should take care of giving the user logged
>> >in at the console permission to use the sound devices.
>> >
>> >Now, as far as the system sounds not working, check your mixer settings.
>> >

>> I'm probably dense, but I can't find anything called "mixer" in the
>> menus...
>>
>> What I have found related to sound is:
>>
>> System/Preferences/Personal/Volume Control
>> this puts a volume ctrl on screen, no test button or such...
>>
>> System/Preferences/Hardware/Sound
>> this puts a tabbed dialogue on screen where there are 3 tabs:
>> Devices: 4 test buttons of which 3 produce a garbled beep sound
>> Sounds: 10 test buttons, none produce any sound at all
>> System Beep: no test button at all
>>
>> System/Administration/Soundcard detection
>> here is where I have to enter root password and when the window
>> appears there is a "sound test" play button, which produces good sound
>> when clicket (this is the only place with good sound). Then it saks if
>> I could hear the sound, which I answer yes to.
>>
>> Then what???
>>
>> Bo Berglund
>>
>In the menu (in gnome it is on the top bar of your screen by default),
>applications->Sound & Video ->Alsa Mixer.

On my Sound&Video menu there are:
CD Player
Movie Player
Rhythmbox
Sound Juicer CD Extractor

No mixer to be seen...

>There are a lot of controls.  You can look at them, try them and click
>on the buttons at the bottom to mute them.  Most important I have found
>for my uses are master, Master Surround, PCM, CD, Video, AUX, Capture,
>and Stereo Mic.  You may find others that you need for your
>use/applications.
>
>	If you don't have Alsa Mixer you may have to install it.  You can find
>it on the Applications>add or remove software and looking for the Alsa
>Mixer application in the various categories.  I forget which one.  You
>can find information about it by becoming root in a terminal window:
>	% su -
>	# yum whatprovides Alsa

Ok, I used the AddRemove and searched for alsa, which brought me a lot
of packages starting with alsa, but one was a gui program.
After installing it I ave Alsa Mixer on the menu, but it is not very
useful, only a number of volume controls for various sources, most of
which are at 75% anyway.
No test button or such...

So I am no further.

Bo Berglund