Re: Updates available, what do they do?

I did a complete update and after it was done I even checked grub.conf
before rebooting and sure enough my parameters for the kernel have
been copied over!

BUT, the subsequent boot failed! After the very first graphics screen
where the uesr gets a few seconds to enter the menu (which I didn't)
the screen turns black and never returns to a usable state!

Had to reset the machine and start again, this time selecting the old
kernel, which made the system boot normally.

Hmm, sounds like you where unlucky. Out of interest, what are the version numbers of the two kernels you now have, the one that works and the one which does not (grub.conf should tell you this).

One other minor comment.

I don't know why you chose Fedora, and certainly I do not wish to put you of using it !, but you should be aware that fedora is a distro that changes fast. As you have seen you get a lot of updates...

Generally speaking fedora is a good distro if you want to stay close to the edge in terms of linux development. Updates come thick and fast and they are not always purely for security reasons. Often it just to bump the version number to a new upstream release. Its generally accepted that occasionally things break in Fedora.

Fedora is not the best distro if you want a long term stable platform for a production environment. There are other distros which have a lot lower update frequency and longer support times.

Redhat Enterprise is an obvious example. But of course you may not wish to pay for it. However, this isn't needed. Redhat, by the rules of OSS, must release the source code for all packages in their distro. This means other distros can spring up, rebuild these rpms and provide effectively the same distro (renamed of course) for free. Effectively with RHEL you pay for the official support. Examples of these are Centos and Scientific Linux (which I use at work) but there are others. With these distros the updates are much less frequently, and only when a serious security problem demands it.

Just something to consider... One of these might provide you a more stable linux platform...

Chris