Re: Moving to a new partition for /usr

El Viernes, 7 de Septiembre de 2007 05:02, John Pierce escribió:
> Hello, I have created a new partition labeled usr01 and I want to copy
> all of the contents of /usr to that partition and then use it as the
> new partition.  This is the steps that I have taken, I would
> appreciate any comments if what I propose will function correctly.
>
> Installed new drive
> made partition labeled usr01
> mounted new partition on /mnt
> cd /usr
> cp -R --preserve=all * /mnt
>
> That is what I have done so far, now if I do the following will the
> system boot up and work correctly?
>
> umount /mnt
> edit /etc/fstab and make the new partition /dev/sdb1 mount to /usr
> reboot.

That should work fine, before deleteing the old /usr I just make du -sh in
both /usr/ and /usr01 too see if both are the same.
Moreover, I would rename the origina /usr to another and use /usr instead
of /usr01, just to do the things well, cause in a future when will be
installing something it might fail cause the make configure or make install
couldn't find the /usr and you probably have to make something
like ./configure --prefix=/usr01 you know...

Good luck, mate
Manuel.

--
Manuel Arostegui Ramirez.