Re: openVPN

Manuel Arostegui Ramirez wrote:

> Umm, I would use the CLI using openvpn manually, you know,
> openvpn /path/to/the/client.conf as it will show you all the connection
> procces in the console, using that, perhaps, you'd be able to find out
> where the problem is, or at least, a big approach to have a start.

Slightly OT, but I have been looking into VPN for a couple of days -
I have bases in two countries and might find it useful -
but I had been led to pptpd (also known as poptop),
which I started to install.

I wonder what the relative merits of openvpn and pptp are?
One possible advantage of pptp seems to be that it works well
with shorewall, which I use as a firewall,
and one of the few lucid accounts of pptp I found
was a very clear document by Tom Eastep, the shorewall king.

On the other hand, openvpn seems to be much better documented.
What is slightly curious is that I didn't come across it
when googling for "vpn fedora" or "vpn linux".

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366