Re: changing intrd

On Wed, 2007-09-05 at 17:16 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
> Les Mikesell wrote:
> > Karl Larsen wrote:
> >>    I read the man initrd and it said to make a new file for use you
> >> do this:
> >>
> >> CONFIGURATION
> >>       The /dev/initrd is a read-only block device assigned major
> >> number 1 and
> >>       minor number 250.  Typically /dev/initrd is  owned  by
> >> root.disk  with
> >>       mode  0400  (read  access  by root only).  If the Linux system
> >> does not
> >>       have /dev/initrd already created, it can be created with the
> >> following
> >>       commands:
> >>
> >>               mknod -m 400 /dev/initrd b 1 250
> >>               chown root:disk /dev/initrd
> >>       Also,  support  for  both "RAM disk" and "Initial RAM disk"
> >> (e.g.  CON-
> >>       FIG_BLK_DEV_RAM=y and CONFIG_BLK_DEV_INITRD=y ) support  must
> >> be  com-
> >>       piled  directly  into  the Linux kernel to use /dev/initrd.
> >> When using
> >>       /dev/initrd, the RAM disk driver cannot be loaded as a module.
> >>

> >>    Well I looked for /dev/initrd in this computer and there is none!
> >> So I think the man page is wrong! Well this is it about for me. All
> >> the Google data is for Red Hat 6.
> >
> > You don't need /dev/initrd - you need
> > /boot/initrd-your-kernel-version.img as mentioned in grub.  man
> > mkinitrd will show the command to build a new one and the only special
> > trick is that you need to put the necessary but missing 'alias'
> > entries in /etc/modprobe.conf first so it will include your driver
> > modules in the new image.
> >
>     Well Les, I have no idea what Internet thing I have, no idea what
> the sound card is called. So I deleted the ones from this computer. But
> when mkintrd ran it said can't make it because it exists. So I deleted
> the 2 in /boot. Then ran it and said "no modules available for this kernel".
>
>     So guess I'm dead. we need a real F7 HowTo for this. It is now a
> catch 22 thing.
----
I am probably flogging a dead horse here but the whole point of anaconda
is to detect your hardware and install an OS that is compatible with
your hardware - which is of course lost when you run the installer on
one system and then copy the installation over to another...this is
often a problem on Windows too.

As for an F7 HowTo - I'm quite sure that information regarding hardware
detection, modprobe.conf and initrd is out there and very little
difference would be found between FC6 and F7 but those without the
experience/skill sets to manage it would find it endlessly confusing.
Case in point...I found a walk through for compiling the old megaraid
modules on RHEL 4 on the Internet which worked fine on RHEL 4.0 but had
to be adjusted when Red Hat shipped RHEL 4.1 or a number of adjustments
had to be made for CentOS because their CentOS-4 installation CD used an
i586 boot kernel instead of an i686 boot kernel. Even with walk the walk
through and my noted changes for CentOS were so difficult that I only
noticed 1 other person on the CentOS mail list that was capable of
getting it accomplished.

Short of above...re-install directly on the hardware you are going to be
using and problems go away.

--
Craig White <craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>