Re: recommend a free driver video card?

On Tuesday 04 September 2007 13:50, Dave Stevens wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I am setting up a new box with ATI ES1000 video on board. I want to use
> only free software on it (F7 as the base) and am in a pickle wrt the video.
> I can set it up initially with the on-board circuit but would like to have
> a dedicated 3d-accelerated card with a free driver. Does such a thing
> exist? I checked at phororonix and got good advice about setting up ATI's
> proprietary driver, but apart from hints that something really substantial
> is in the works, no joy about a well-developed free driver. Does anyone
> care to suggest a candidate? Should be in the $200 price range.
>
> TIA,
>
> Dave

and now see: http://lwn.net/Articles/248227/

Looks like ATI will, "enable the development of open source drivers for all of
its (ATI) graphics processors from the R500 going forward."

The exact form of the enabling seems unclear but as a R530 user this looks
like a nice Christman present. Maybe I will stick with ATI after all. If the
timing is what I suspect next week's Barcelona announcements should be pretty
meaty.

Dave

ps Thanks to all who responded.

--
The Ontario government will spend around $27 billion on nuclear power between
now and 2025 in a bid to keep the lights on in the province. If history is