Re: How to install Thunderbird in linux?

Bo Berglund wrote:
I have just installed Fedora7 on a virtual machine and now I would
like to get my email program on there as well (Thunderbird).
So I went to mozilla and downloaded the Thunderbird install files.
But now what?

I am used to Windows and there usually is a "setup" or "install"
program one executes, but here I have a gz archive that I have
unpacked to a /Thunderbird folder in my home dir. Lots of files and
folders.
But what do I do now?

As you may understand I am completely new to Linux so I could probably
only use GUI tools. Is there a manager for installed programs in
Fedora7?

In Fedora, software is usually packaged and available in a central software repository. There are graphical as well as command line programs for installing, updating or removing software.

If you prefer the graphical utility, Add/Remove programs (Pirut), see

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/pirut.

Launching pirut will ask you for the root (administrator) password, you can search for thunderbird and install it.

There are some screencasts available at

http://www.linux.com/feature/117384

The command line equivalent is called yum and you can learn about it in

http://docs.fedoraproject.org/yum/en/

Rahul