Re: Successful install of Fedora7 in VPC2007 guest

On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 21:32:57 -0400, Matthew Flaschen
<matthew.flaschen@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Bo Berglund wrote:
>
>> Next time you start up, log in as root and wait.
>
>You never need to log into the GUI as root.  Just run the programs you
>need to as root.  For instance, when you need to do updates, it will ask
>you for the root password.  But everything else remains with user
>privileges.
>
>Matt Flaschen

I actually first tried that, logging in as myself. But when I wanted
to edit grub.conf using the text editor it would not allow me and I
could not see any way of starting the text editor with root priviliges
either.

So then I started a command window and inside that I used su to become
root. Then I used nano to edit grub.conf. I did that after first
trying the text editor again (now with root in the command window) but
it still would not allow me to edit grub.conf. Seems like the su in
the command window is only valid inside the command window itself.
Is there a way to start the text editor as root????

But using nano was a disaster, because after adding the extra
parameters somehow nano split the kernel command line into two
separate lines and when I subsequently restarted I got back to the
garbled initial screens and finally to a situation where I could not
move the mouse anymore. So I had to *reset* the machine and use
command line parameters from the boot screen once more to get back in.

Then I logged on as root and could use text editor to modify
grub.conf. That is when I saw that the previous edit with nano had
actually managed to create two lines out of the single kernel line!

So I think it is safer to log on as root the first time so that the
final setup chores can all be accomplished without permission
problems.

By the way:
When I had to reset the machine to get control back I probably did so
at a not so good time, because on each boot now the loader complains
about disk corruption. It flashes by so fast that I can't say exactly
what it says, but definitely about the disk.
Is there a linux utility like the Windows chkdsk that can be used to
repair the disk if it is corrupted? If so, how is it used?

Bo Berglund