Re: OT: Acrobat Reader needs plugin?

Craig White wrote:

I thought that it fairly well explained the methodology and purpose of
the file open plugin on Matthews link. I hadn't ever heard of the plugin
before and didn't realize that it was something beyond the mozilla
plugin.

Ah, I presumed (incorrectly) that all those were links internal to the
page. I found the explanation. However, at least one of the statements
made there is untrue.

[QUOTE MODE ON]

Q8. What if I am not connected to the web?
A8. If you open and save a document locally on your computer, then you'll be able to use that document for at least 30 days whether or not you are connected to the web. You can renew your 30 days by reconnecting to the web and reopening the document.

[QUOTE MODE OFF]

This is demonstrably untrue. I have demonstrated it to be false. I got a
"failure to connect to server" error pop-up, and I downloaded it just
hours ago.

In any case, I disagree with the means by which they hope to
achieve their goals. OpenFile is not going to survive on my machine.
I haven't carefully evaluated their goals to see whether I agree
with them, but I certainly disagree with their characterization of
the tool used.

In particular, I disagree with this characterization:

[QUOTE MODE ON]

Q2. Is the plugin safe? Does it contain spyware?
A2. The plugin is developed by FileOpen Systems, Inc. Numerical Recipes Software is a licensee of the technology. FileOpen Systems has been a licensed Adobe Security Partner since 1997. The FileOpen plugin runs only within Adobe Acrobat or Adobe Reader, and only in connection with opening a FileOpen encrypted document. It contains no spyware or malware, leaves nothing running on your machine, and makes no changes in your Windows registry or in system files.

[QUOTE MODE OFF]

If one purchases a copy of something, then that copy should belong
to the one who purchased it. Not the work, of course, but the copy.
This is an attempt to prevent people from owning their own copies
of the item. As such, it is spyware and malware, end of story.

Just IMO.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.