Re: Fw: FC7: 1680x1050 screen resolution on thinkpad T61 with Intel 965GM X3100 video chipset.

Globe Trotter wrote:
The new F7 intel video driver from:
xorg-x11-drv-i810-2.0.0-4.fc7

...xorg.conf...
Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Videocard0"
        Driver      "intel"
EndSection

Seems to handle the new X1300 in 2D mode just fine.
3D is still a no go. (locks the system)

Thanks! But this does not do anything: in particular, I do have this installed on my system. xorg.conf does show the correct thing.

one thing to note though is that i get the following as my video card using system-config/display

intel - Experimental modesetting driver for Intel integrated graphics chipsets

rather than

i810 - Intel Integrated Graphics Chipsets, including i810, i815, 830M, 845G, 852GM, 855GM, 865G, 915G, 915GM, and 945GM.

Of course, I realize that 965GM is not listed in this list above, and forcing its selection killed X for me and I had to revert back....

Has anyone been able to get it to work?

Many thanks,
Trotter

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dell Inspiron 1420N has the same new intel mobile chip set.

Sound, however, did not work and required a fresh build of the alsa kernel drivers and libraries. So support of this new intel platform is upstream, and should work out of the box in Fedora, soon.

see Justin's Blog here:

http://blog.justinconover.com/2007/08/16/1420-dell-inspiron-and-fedora-7/

Here is the meet of alsa fixes for the new intel mobile chipset:

# yum groupinstall "Development Tools"
# yum install mercurial
# cd /usr/src
# mkdir alsa && cd alsa
# hg clone http://hg-mirror.alsa-project.org/alsa-driver alsa-driver
# cd alsa-driver
# hg clone http://hg-mirror.alsa-project.org/alsa-kernel alsa-kernel
# ./hgcompile && make install
# echo options snd-hda-intel model=3stack > /etc/modprobe.d/sound
# modprobe snd-hda-intel
# system-config-sound (test it)

# reboot (to make sure it sticks, or if the test before didn't work)

For networking, the new kernel (2.6.22.4-65.fc7) has both the wired and wireless covered, and so all that is needed is the firmware:

# yum install iwlwifi-firmware

The only known (to me) issue left with the new intel chipset is suspend.

Hibernate works perfectly, but suspend on Fedora comes back at brightness 0 (dimmest setting) and cannot be altered. An additional suspend without reboot will cause the old no screen, no keyboard problem. Normal fixes for that do not work.

Good luck!

Hmmm ... this is from the /var/log/Xorg.0.log with the intel driver:

(II) intel: Driver for Intel Integrated Graphics Chipsets: i810,
       i810-dc100, i810e, i815, i830M, 845G, 852GM/855GM, 865G, 915G,
       E7221 (i915), 915GM, 945G, 945GM, 945GME, 965G, 965G, 965Q, 946GZ,
       965GM, 965GME/GLE, G33, Q35, Q33

So it looks like it should work on your system. Is your version the same as listed? (2.0.0-4)

The chip set is very new ...

The driver also announces itself as a new version of the i810 driver.
It is also my understanding that the specs from intel are good on the new chip set, so it should work.

Perhaps yours is a variant that is not covered, yet.

There is a newer version of the above mentioned rpm in development, (2.1.1-3) maybe that one will work for you. drm will be broken because of a
version mismatch, but 3D is not ready yet anyways.

You can safely install it with:

# yum  --enablerepo=development install xorg-x11-drv-i810

It should come down by itself.

Give that one a shot to see if it supports your variant.

Good Luck!