Re: FC7: 1680x1050 screen resolution on thinkpad T61 with Intel 965GM X3100 video chipset.

Globe Trotter wrote:

----- Original Message ----
From: Pete Huckelba <redhat@xxxxxxxxx>
To: For users of Fedora <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, September 4, 2007 11:56:13 AM
Subject: Re: FC7: 1680x1050 screen resolution on thinkpad T61 with Intel 965GM X3100 video chipset.

Globe Trotter wrote:
--- trendle <no-reply-gw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I have a similar problem with a 1680x1050 lcd monitor and fc7.

I can set the physical screen to the correct size, but cannot see any
solution for the display size.

However, fwiw... I tried a spare disk and installed the most recent mandriva
(spring 2007).  It recognised and setup the screen correctly.

So there is no hardware problem for me, and it seems there is no fundamental
linux issue. Just fedora fc7.

Its a shame to blight a good distro by giving non expert users such grief
setting up a simple thing as the display.
Agreed! And I have the opensource intel.....which installed perfectly with
xubuntu. Wonder when it will work out of the box with fedora.....

btw, i filed a bug report: no one has assigned it yet, so this is really low
priority, looks like.

i filed it under 915resolution. anything else that would be more apt?

trotter

rpm -ivh http://rpm.livna.org/livna-release-7.rpm
yum -y install 915resolution

Then add to the bottom of /etc/rc

/usr/sbin/915resolution 3a 1680 1050 24

and reboot.

Thanks for the above. I uninstalled 915resolution using yum, and then went through the steps above. To no avail. I was not able to get the higher 1680x1050 resolution....

Any further suggestions? Btw, I wonder why we need the livna repo. I did follow the above advice word for word, though.

Many thanks,
Trotter

My bad -915 is in extras, not livna; not to mention x3100 is their new video chipset, invalidating the 915 hack. Have you taken a look at http://www.intellinuxgraphics.org/index.html?

-Pete