Re: DD not working--SUCCESS!

Around 02:04pm on Sunday, September 02, 2007 (UK time), Claude Jones scrawled:

> On Sun September 2 2007, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > your fundamental problem, karl, is that you insist on publishing (and
> > re-publishing and re-re-publishing)
>
> The only thing of note about your arrogant posts are a couple of words from
> your sig - you are indeed what you say, an annoying pedant. If you are truly
> concerned about the people who will hose systems due to bad advice, correct
> the paper - JUST DO IT. This incessant hollering at one individual, and your
> role in the incitement to mob behavior on the part of a tiny handful of
> others last week are not helpful at all - if you're so concerned about being
> helpful, be so. Cut your hypocrisy - there are plenty of others who post
> erroneous information - are you going to go around policing them all - do you
> think you can? You don't like Karl - so be it - who cares? There's about ten
> or so of you -- this has become about personality, and despite all the
> posturing to the contrary, that is pretty obvious. To the thousands of others
> who read this list and the hundreds that are continuing the business of
> helping each other as usual, ignoring you obnoxious ten, you're a pimple on
> your own collective arse.

As (presumably) one of the ten pimples, I think there are more than ten
of us who believe that Karl is perverting the purpose of the list, and
that it is right we try and change this behaviour, by pointing this out.
Just because he is stubborn does not mean we have to accept this
behaviour, which if it was copied by others on the list would lead to a
total breakdown to the usefulness of the list.

Karl's streams of consciousness should be published on a blog, not the
mailing list.

If Karl wants to develop documentation he should publish it on a web
page or wiki, and invite people from here to comment on / correct it.
That way a *correct* final version can be developed, without incorrect
intermediate versions being recorded on the list archives forever, where
they could easily mislead others.

Where Karl has raised a problem on the list he should stick to the same
thread during its resolution.  Raising multiple threads on the same
subject just leads to confusion for everyone.

Lastly, and specifically aimed at you Claude, calling others on the list
"a pimple on your own collective arse" ruins any argument you may be
making that we are being rude, nasty or hurtful to Karl and that it is
wrong for us to do so.  Luckily (it seems so far) the remainder of this
list don't resort to childish invective - presumably they are more
intelligent and/or mature than you.

Steve