Re: Specifying tmp for tar

On 31/08/2007, Rick Stevens <rstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-08-31 at 23:18 +0300, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > I have a 2 GB bz2 archive that unzips to over 10 GB (wikipedia dump).
> > Although I have over 50 GB free in /home, / has only about 8 GB free.
> > Thus, as tar uses /tmp, the / filesystem fills up and I cannot
> > continue. How can I specify a tmp directory for tar in my home
> > directory? Note that man tar makes no mention of a tmp option.
>
> Boot in single user mode,  Then as root:
>
>         # mkdir /home/tmp
>         # chmod 777 /home/tmp
>         # mv /tmp /tmp-old
>         # ln -s /home/tmp /tmp
>         # cp -a /tmp-old/* /tmp
>
> That creates a /home/tmp directory, allows everyone access, renames the
> old /tmp to /tmp-old, symlinks /home/tmp to /tmp, then copies everything
> that was in the old /tmp to the new one.  Once that's done, you can
> reboot and all references to /tmp will now access /home/tmp.

Thanks, Rick, I'll try that. I can then simply erase the symlink? I
know that "rm /tmp" will not erase the symlink, rather the content of
/home/tmp so how can I remove it afterwards? Thanks.

Also, as a learning experience, is there a way a user without root
access could unpack the tar? It's not a problem, but I'd like to
learn. Thanks.

Dotan Cohen

http://lyricslist.com/
http://what-is-what.com/