Re: DD not working

>     Here is what I did this time. /dev/sda6 which is this computer has
> 5098 cylinders of space (the hard drives are identical) and the other
> has 5100 cylinders. So it is just a bit larger than the source
> partition. This will finish in good time and then I will use fsck to see
> if the transfered file system is good. Last time I mounted the new
> partition to this computer and it looked so good I was sure it was
> perfect. Alas the LABEL problems and many others kept me busy doing
> stupid things.
>
>     This time I know much more 8-)
>         Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI

Ok, that should work fine.  I don't use labels but it makes sense what
was previously explained.  Where dd does an exact copy, that means the
label on both drives is the same.  So if you have both drives
connected at the same time it would cause problems seeing they have
the exact same label.  Hence why tune2fs was suggested to change the
label of one of the drives (with only one connected of course - once
the label is changed then you should be able to fire up the computer
with both drives connected).

Jacques B.