Re: setting X windows display back?

Paula J. Lindsay wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> I have a box running fedora core 2.  I cannot set the display back to
> this box when I'm on another machine.  Here is what
> I type:
>
> berry:/home/paula: xhost +
> then I open up a terminal and ssh to another machine.  When I get to the
> other machine, I type,
> straws:/home/paula: setenv DISPLAY berry:0.0
> permission denied
>
> and it does not work.  There is no selinux or firewalls up, so it isn't
> a security issue.  Does someone
> know something about this?  I don't have this trouble on any of my other
> boxes.
> Many thanks,
> Paula

My first question is why are you doing this the hard way? Instead of
running "xhost +" and "etenv DISPLAY berry:0.0", why not use the -Y
option of SSH and let it set up everything for you, as well as
tunneling the X connection over the ssh connection?

As for finding out why what you are trying does not work, I would
first look in the logs on berry to see what it does not like.

Mikkel