Re: ftpd on xinetd

Michael Klinosky wrote:
> I set up an ftp server (pure-ftpd, for personal & temporary use). It
> works fine when run in standalone mode (non-xinetd), on my lan and from
> outside. But, when I try as a xinetd service (which I'd prefer), the
> login fails (unix-style).
>
> What could possibly be wrong?

What exactly is the error message? Is the login failing, or are you
being blocked before it gets that far? You may want to check that
xinetd is running and that pure-ftp is enabled. Just because there
is a file in /etc/xinet.d for it does not mean it is enabled.
        disable = yes

> I don't know how to control access as a standalone, but do know about
> xinetd. Does tcp wrappers work for a service in standalone mode?

It depends on the service. Some standalone services use tcp
wrappers. (sshd is one that does.) You will have to check the
documentation to see if pure-ftd does.

Mikkel