Re: how to create a directory...

> I wouldn't really recommend starting a full X session as root - Its
> really not needed, a terminal will do in almost all cases.
>
> Chris
>
> --

Agreed.  It is certainly more advisable to do it from a non-privileged
account where you escalate to root in a terminal window vs logging in
as root from the GUI.  My reason to suggest this was because the OP
clearly has limited if any command line experience.  CLI as root is
very powerful.  Screw up a command and you can do lots of damage.
Easy to happen with an unexperienced CLI user.  The GUI being a more
familiar environment for the OP, it would be less likely that he would
do something destructive (although certainly easy to do something
destructive at the GUI as well I realize that).

Jacques B.