Re: [OT] Connecting two hard drives on same IDE cable

On 29/08/2007, Mikkel L. Ellertson <mikkel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > Most of the computers I've ever built had two hard drives. I always
> > install the master on the cable connector closest to the motherboard,
> > and the slave on the far end. I don't recall having problems with this
> > setup, which I learned because I have had motherboards that would not
> > recognize a master if it was on the end. Now, I have read from a
> > respected data-recovery source that the slave should in fact be on the
> > connector closest to the motherboard and the master on the end. Is
> > this accurate? What do the experienced people who frequent this list
> > know?
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > Dotan Cohen
> >
> It is less critical when you have two drives, but when you have one
> drive, not putting it at the end of the cable can cause problems
> because of noise on the cable, among other things. If you are using
> cable select (CS), you do not have a choice - the connector at the
> end of the cable is the one wired to select the drive as the master.
> In any case, it doesn't hurt, and in some cases helps, to have the
> master at the end of the cable.
>
> One other thing to think about - if you do not have optical drives,
> or if you have fast access optical drives, it can be beneficial to
> have each hard drive on its own controller. Unless you are stuck
> with one of the controller that does not allow access to both IDE
> interfaces at the same time, or does not support fast access on both
> interfaces, it can speed up overall disk access. This is especially
> true when copying or moving data between drives.
>
> Mikkel

Are you suggesting that for a situation with 2 IDE interfaces on the
motherboard, two optical drives and two hard drives that each IDE
interface have one each hard drive and optical drive? That seems to me
would slow down the optical drives, which are faster than the hard
drives, as the IDE interface would run at the speed of the slowest
device on the interface.

Dotan Cohen

http://lyricslist.com/
http://what-is-what.com/