Re: Fedora7 Boot Problem.

> clemens@xxxxxxx wrote:
> > This is just a heads up for whoever maintains the boot code in Fedora.
> >
> > On Friday I installed Fedora7 to a new partition on my machine.
> > When it asked if I wanted to install GRUB I said NO.
> > This is my usual response, its easier to add the one new boot param to
> > grub.conf, than having to copy all the old ones there.
> >
>     I think this is not true. I can copy 100 lines as easy as 1.

Good for you.
I just normally type in the new entry, that way I dont have to find the
old grub.conf, and see if its been overwritten, which has happened with
previous versions of install.

> > In any case, the machine WOULD NOT BOOT.
> > About three lines printed, including the "kernel" info, but NOT the
> > "initrd" info.
> >

>     I think you mean to say that after saying NO to the loaders request
> to set up grub, you found the OLD grub setup was no longer working?

No, what I meant to say was that with a NEW entry for the f7 install added
to the OLD grub, it would not work for the f7 install.  It worked fine for
the installs in other partitions.

> > Today I reinstalled, said YES, and everything is OK.
> > I have to assume that SOMETHING is not getting done in the install
> > sequence when you say NO.  It will take someone familiar with the code
> > to check this out,- but the rest of you, be warned.
> >
>     If your saying that the loader did ruin your OLD grub setup it is a
> bug against anaconda. If the OLD grub was fine then it isn't.

Again, thats just what I said.  The old grub works fine for the existing
partitions.  The new entry would NOT work with the just installed f7.
If I let f7-install write a grub.conf, I could then overwrite it with my
old, modified, grub.conf and it worked fine.  So it seems that install is
missing a step when you say NO.

Clear enough this time?

--
                                        Reg.Clemens