Re: KDE ssh-agent

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 18:13:08 -0400, Todd Zullinger wrote:

> Mike -- EMAIL IGNORED wrote:
>> I have been using ssh-agents for a while and I have good scripts and
>> procedures to manage them.
>
> You use more than one at a time then?
>
>> Is there a way I can disable the provision of this automatically
>> provided agent?  It gets in the way, and I frequently have to manually
>> delete it.
>
> It's started via some code in /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc-common:
>
> # Prefix launch of session with ssh-agent if available and not already
> running. SSH_AGENT=
> if [ -x /usr/bin/ssh-agent -a -z "$SSH_AGENT_PID" ]; then
>     if [ "x$TMPDIR" != "x" ]; then
>         SSH_AGENT="/usr/bin/ssh-agent /bin/env TMPDIR=$TMPDIR"
>     else
>         SSH_AGENT="/usr/bin/ssh-agent"
>   fi
> fi
>
> So if you've already started your ssh-agent, it shouldn't be started
> again.  If you don't want it to start because you plan to start it up
> later, perhaps you could set the SSH_AGENT_PID variable?
>
> You can always edit the xinitrc-common script directly, but then you
> have to remember to redo your changes after an update (that script isn't
> marked as a %config script in the rpm).

[...]

For now, I commented out that part of the script.  I'm sure I
will be reminded if I forget about it after an update.
Considering your suggestion that I set the SSH_AGENT_PID
variable, when does the xinitrc-common script run?  Before or
after my .bashrc?  After some other standard script you might
suggest?  Thanks again for your help.

Mike.