Re: Linux suitable motherboard/µprocessor?

Bob Goodwin wrote:
Dave Stevens wrote:
On Wednesday 29 August 2007 08:37, Bob Goodwin wrote:
 Can someone tell me if this board and processor would be suitable for
Fedora 7?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=
3156977&sku=MBM-K8MM3V-3400&CMP=EMC-TIGEREMAIL&SRCCODE=WEM1442C

I have a some parts I would like to make into something usable, including
500 megs of DDR PC3200 400mHz 256MB RAM.

 I don't have any exotic requirements, just a box for routine e-mail,
MySql, etc.

 Thanks.

ps I agree with Manuel, no reason why it wouldn't. I assume you've checked the manufacturer's web site for memory specs, is that right?

Yes, it appears to me the RAM I have is usable.

There are no specifics on the site you list but I guess the main unknown would be the
"AMD Sempron 3400+ 2.0GHz"  processor that ships with the board.

I just thought someone might have an opinion to offer.

A mainstream processor from AMD or Intel is rarely going to cause
problems, the same goes for desktop RAM (unless faulty or wildly
out of spec).  What you want to look at is support for the controller
chips on the motherboard: IDE & SATA controller, onboard graphics
and sound if present, ethernet, usb etc.

In this case you want to check support for:
Sound VIA VT1617A (support onboard sound controllers often depend
on the board as well as the particular chip and can be somewhat
difficult).
Via K8M800 northbridge support for UniChrome video
Via VT8237R southbridge SATA support, ethernet support

Depending on your needs you may also want to try and discover
whether suspend and other power saving features are supported for
this board (though I suspect the only way to find out will be to
try it).

--
imalone