Re: [OT] Connecting two hard drives on same IDE cable

Dotan Cohen kirjoitti viestissään (lähetysaika keskiviikko, 29.
elokuuta 2007):
> I always install the master on the cable connector closest to
> the motherboard, and the slave on the far end.

That's the old Cable Select configuration used with 40-conductor
cables defined in ATA-4 and earlier specifications.

> I have read from a respected
> data-recovery source that the slave should in fact be on the
> connector closest to the motherboard and the master on the
> end.

That's the Cable Select setup for ATA-5 and later, used with
80-conductor cables.

See:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Technology_Attachment#Cable_select

If you set master/slave with jumpers instead of using CS the
master/slave location shouldn't matter if you have two drives,
but if you have only one drive it should be at the end of the
cable to reduce electrical interference.

--
 Markku Kolkka
 markku.kolkka@xxxxxx