RE: blank screen on boot in fc7

-----Original Message-----
From: fedora-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:fedora-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Mike Chambers
Sent: Tuesday, August 28, 2007 8:24 AM
To: For users of Fedora
Subject: RE: blank screen on boot in fc7

On Tue, 2007-08-28 at 07:49 -0500, Frank VanDerLinden wrote:

> my first install I had rebooting fine. But after changing background and
> applying a screen saver this started. So I installed a clean copy. Still
had
> the problem. Is it possible I messed up on the install??? Should I try
> installing a clean copy?? Is there any specific options I should use while
> installing a clean copy that might help the situation out??

If you can do it while logging in as root, then use "su - your-username"
while in console, then try startx as your normal user and see if you can
login.  If so, then that works OK.  Maybe try rebooting again and
instead of putting a 3 there, just keep it as it, and delete the rhgb
part and then let it boot.  You might also try removing some of your
services that you don't need and boot up that way and see if one of
those is doing it.  If you don't know how, while booted into run level 3
as you are currently doing, you can run "chkconfig --level 35
service-name off" and then you can boot up.

Hope this helps,

--
Mike Chambers
Madisonville, KY

"Best little town on Earth!"

Ok while on lunch I tried brining up a brand new install and getting the
same blank screen. It goes through the first startup where you send your
hardware profile off and etc. but when I restart I get the screen. The Cap
lock light don't come on when pressed as well as the num lock. I did go
through and uncheck all services except for 3 or 4 and it goes one step
further and flashes the console logon screen that you see right before X
starts. But none the less still getting the blank screen. Im convinced it
must be a service that is starting up. Can anyone provide a list of the bare
minimum services I should have starting? That way I can see if that fixes
the problem and start adding services back one by one boot by boot too see
exactly which service is causing this and find a solution.