Re: How to configure sshfs ?

On 8/27/07, Jonathan Dieter <jdieter@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-08-27 at 16:54 +0930, Tim wrote:
> > Paul Johnson:
> > > You are making this way too hard.  Even if I could figure it out, I
> > > could never teach a part time lab assistant.  I can't create an ever
> > > more complicated chain of tools and scripts for things like this
> > > because at some point an ordinary human will have to administer these
> > > systems, possibly adding users with a Fedora tool like
> > > system-config-users.
> >
> > I would imagine that there's a way to specify default groups to be added
> > to.  And I'm fairly certain that someone would have made a way to easily
> > modify batches of existing users.  There are some tools around for
> > systems configuration, darned if I can recall the name of one of them at
> > the moment, other than something beginning with "s".  No, I don't mean
> > something like system-config-whatever, there's a third-party package.
> > Sab... sat... I can't remember.
>
> Sabayon.  I'm using it at our school to configure a universal desktop
> setup for all our students.  It doesn't have anything to do with adding
> or removing users from groups, though.
>
> Jonathan

I just think there is a mistake or inconsistency in the way Fedora is
set up.

Why not let ordinary users access /dev/fuse from the command line?

They are not allowed to type "sshfs user@system: mounpoint" but they
are allowed to do it through a GUI in either Gnome or KDE.

Users can sshfs mount a drive inside nautilus by typing in a URL
ssh://user@system:

And inside konqueror, the URL is fish://user@system:

Why not allow the command line mount as well??

I never did understand why Fedora only lets root run "mount" but it
lets ordinary users

--
Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science