Re: How to rebuild while preserving an LVM disk

Cliff Avey wrote:
I have an ancient (FC3) Fedora that I want to move to FC8. I figure it might be cleanest to just rebuild it rather that upgrading (if that's even possible, it's so old). I can blow everything away except one thing. Separate from my OS disk, I have to SATA drives built into a raid-0 with md, and then an lvm physical volume group built on that. I need to keep that, and I don't have enough room anywhere else to backup and restore it.

If I unplug the raid drives, and rebuild my system, how can I hook them back up? Is the configuration info describing the md array, and the lvm groups stored on my os drive, which I'm blowing away. How can I save and/or recreate it once I get the main system back up?

Also, I don't know if there have been major changes to md or lvm (or xfs for that matter, since the logical volume is formatted as xfs). Will I have any problems using drives set up with a relatively old version of this software.

Thanks for your advice.

That is what I did going from FC4 to FC7.

My dm raid is my /home partition.

I copied all my /etc files to a memory stick for a reference.

I made sure my LVM partitions had labels as FC7 requires labels. Use something that is unique, not just home to ensure that there is no conflict.

I also wrote down my LVM and RAID settings.

I unplugged the drives to be safe.

I don't have the full details as it was my home computer, but I then installed FC7 on the clean HD. I had the installer create a separate /home partition (which will be used for other stuff later).

I then plugged the SATA drives back in and with the CLI, re-configured the RAID and made sure that was working. I then entered the LVM configurations into the lvm.conf file and checked to see if all was working by mounting the partition.

Changed the /etc/fstab to mount the partition as /home and rebooted. It went much easier than I had expected.

--
Robin Laing