Re: Simple but no joy swap

On Mon, 2007-08-27 at 13:51 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
>     I have no swap listed when I run top. This is not true but the swap
> file at /dev/sda3 was around 250 bytes. I had just goofed but I had a
> much larger swap on the other hard drive and it worked great.
>
>     Now just one hard drive and today I used fdisk and redid this hard
> drive to have the same number of partitions but the /dev/sda3 is now 2
> Gb. I used mkswap /dev/sda3 and it seemed to work but perhaps not
> because top still says no swap... I will read man mkswap and see if
> there is something else I need to do.

Did you mark that partition as swap in /etc/fstab, e.g.:

	/dev/sda3      swap            swap    defaults        0 0

And did you run either "swapon /dev/sda3" or "swapon -a" (after editing
/etc/fstab)?

- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxx -
- CDN Systems, Internap, Inc.                http://www.internap.com -
-      The moving cursor writes, and having written, blinks on.      -