Re: the clock stopped in F7 ?!

> I've got a Fedora 7 (x86) system that started exhibiting truly bizarre
> behavior about a week ago.  Basically, the clock stopped working.  If
> I run 'date' it shows the date/time from a few days earlier, and it

Recent kernels have become "tickless", a neat idea to stop regular
wakeups hundreds of times a second and save on power.  AIUI to track
time it now refers to a hardware "clocksource" to find out time instead
of counting the "tick" interrupts.

You can find out what hardware clocksources you have on your machine
like this

cat /sys/devices/system/clocksource/clocksource0/available_clocksource

For example I get

hpet hpet acpi_pm jiffies tsc

(hpet twice?  maybe due to dualcore?).  You can find out the clocksource
you are currently using here

cat /sys/devices/system/clocksource/clocksource0/current_clocksource

hpet is the latest and greatest, but what I would try is to force the
kernel to use something other than it is using at the moment, by
something like this

clocksource=tsc

on the kernel commandline, and see if that makes any odds.

-Andy