Re: the clock stopped in F7 ?!

Mike wrote:

> Nope, the battery backed CMOS clock is only read by the kernel at boot
> time but never again.  After that the "software" clock in the kernel is
> updated by a hardware interrupt.

You may want to read about some of the new power saving changes
being made to the kernel. I can not find the URL right now, but
there was a thread here talking about powertop, and it had a pointer
to the tickless kernel mods that let the kernel sleep when noting is
going on. It is my understanding that the kernel does not wake up
for clock ticks, and so it must re-read the hardware clock. Note
that this is for both laptops and servers. (It cuts down on both
power consumption and heat buildup...)

Mikkel