Re: the clock stopped in F7 ?!

On Sun, 2007-08-26 at 16:52 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:

>     Sorry but I wanted to say the battery runs a clock on your
> motherboard that Linux reads from time to time. If the battery is dead
> or weak it will not run the clock with accuracy.
>
> Better?

That clock is only read on startup and set on shutdown or if directed to
by the user with the hwclock command.  Once the system boots, a clock on
the CPU itself is the only one Linux cares about for time of day.  If
NTP is enabled, it uses other sources on the local net or Internet to
help keep the CPU clock rate correct.

So dead motherboard "hardware clock" battery wouldn't explain issues
with the CPU "system clock".

--
                Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences