Re: error when installing kernel and kernel-headers 2.6.22.4-65.fc7

on 8/25/2007 11:01 AM, Darlene Wallach wrote:
> Todd Zullinger wrote:
>> Darlene Wallach wrote:
>>> Todd,
>>>
>>> Thank you, I tried
>>> # yum update kernel-headers.i386
>>>
>>> Transaction Check Error:
>>>  file /usr/include/linux/netfilter_ipv4/ipt_iprange.h from install of
>>> kernel-headers-2.6.22.4-65.fc7 conflicts with file from package
>>> kernel-headers-2.6.22.1-41.fc7
>> Odd.  I updated my system yesterday and it properly pulled in the
>> newer kernel-headers package.  So I don't think it's a generic problem
>> with the package or the repos.  But that doesn't help a lot in solving
>> the issue you're having. ;)
>>
>> It could help to clean out your yum cache, but that's just a WAG.
>
> Before I emailed regarding my problem, I did
> yum clean all and even rebooted
>
>>> So I guess I'll stick with kernel-2.6.22.1-41.fc7 and
>>> kernel-headers-2.6.22.1-41.fc7
>> A quick way to work around this would be to remove kernel-headers,
>> then yum update, and then yum install kernel-headers (if you need it,
>> that is).
>>

> Todd,
>
> You are suggesting I do:
> yum remove kernel-headers-2.6.22.1-41.fc7
> yum install kernel-headers.i386
> yum install kernel.i686
>
> I'm assuming I should install kernel stuff.

I'm not Todd but:

yum update

will offer to update any packages that are available for Fedora 7

-------------------
yum update kernel

will offer to install the new kernel (kernels are always installed, never
updated) *and* to update the kernel-headers package. It will remove the
kernel (yum keeps two kernels installed) that you are not currently using
and it will remove the old kernel-header package. Yum will also write the
new GRUB config. Removing the listing for the removed kernel, adding the
listing for the new kernel, and making the new kernel the default kernel
to boot. To use the new kernel now you will have to reboot.

--

  David