Rick,

modprobe.conf is as follows

[root@localhost Documents]# cat /etc/modprobe.conf
alias eth0 8139too
alias scsi_hostadapter pata_sis
alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
options snd-card-0 index=0
options snd-intel8x0 index=0

The machine hangs at gathering IP information. It does not move
any further. To achieve a connection on this machine, I disconnect
the ethernet cable and manually assign it an IP. What could be wrong
here?
While the device is disconnected booting goes on as normal.

I bet if you waited long enough, the machine would have finished
booting. It sounds like it is not getting a response from the DHCP
server. Can you look at the logs on the DHCP server? That should
give you an idea of what is going on. There may also be helpful
messages in /var/log/messages. Do a search for DHCP."

Mikkel
I have experienced trouble of this sort earlier. It takes ages to bring up the eth card, and finally the operation fails. In some instances this has been due to the ISP, they had trouble generating IP addresses when the old ones had expired. In another instance it turned out that the network card was not properly connected in the PC.
Apart from that it should be fairly easy to connect.
Try to experiment a bit.
Check the "network configuration" (this is KDE) - do you have the correct IP-addresses for DNS? I had wrong adresses here once, and that caused problems.

"If you don't succeed the first time mr. Kidd..
try and try again, mr Wint"
(Form James Bond - Diamonds are forever)