Re: choice of repository

On Mon August 20 2007, Jerome Kan wrote:
> Hey I was wondering which fedora 7 repositories don't work well with each
> other. I.e. livna and fresh rpms

The conventional wisdom for years has been to only keep one of these enabled,
and use the other for occasionally grabbing things, with great care and
caution, that the other didn't have - as to which is better, you'll get lots
of views on that point if you google around. I've used both and they are both
excellent - they used to package things in slightly different ways that could
produce conflicts, and I have no idea whether that's fully resolved.
Personally, I keep freshrpms enabled and livna I turn on only for
occasionally grabbing something that the other doesn't have - I do that
principally for the dkms package which nicely automates the process of
building new kernel-modules for my nvidia driver each time a new kernel is
released

> and if one is better than the other. A lot
> of guides seem to suggest to use livna; however I was wondering is there a
> better respository out there for third party software?

'better' is a loaded term - there are other repos out there - the BLAG repo
can be used with it's equivalent Fedora version and is an excellent repo for
lots of packages that don't make it into the Fedora one -- he cherry picks
from all the others and does customizations that generally improve
functionality - CCRMA is a real good repo for audio and video related stuff -
and there are the dedicated repos for specific programs such as Adobe-linux
and Skype, which have a very narrow focus, but are useful

--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA