Re: CISCO SIP

David Timms wrote:
tony.chamberlain@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
This may be outside the scope of this list, but maybe someone will
i figure as long as I cannot ping the SIP phone from a different
network, through the router, the SIP phone will not be able to reach
the proxy machine, A.B.C.D.

Any suggestions how I might make that IP address (W.X.Y.Z) available
to the outside world?
If all parties are routed, then you should have no problem. But if you are using a firewall/NAT, then the firewall has to know about the SIP protocol {ie application layer gateway}, so that it can track and proxy the extra connections that are formed between the devices.

DaveT.

I Dave T's comments are relevant and you use Cisco IOS as your firewall, depending on the IOS version, you can add sip-awareness to it...

On your router, in "enable mode":
conf t
ip inspect name (firewallname) sip

you may also use sip-tls