Re: Alternative booting

Chris Jones wrote:
Also, my first partition is for XP and 30G, so if 8G is the magic limit
then how come that GRUB booted fine several times with that setup?
Again, I am very sure that I am not victim of any BIOS limitations, but
that GRUB does one thing five times in a row as expected and just
doesn't do it a sixth time around for reasons unknown.

Do you change anything (updates etc.) between the 5th and 6th boots ? If not, this is starting to sound like flaky hardware to me...

Yes, I installed the 167 updates that came up.

If you do, then what - If it is anything to do with grub/kernels I still maintain it sounds like you have part of your filesystems that are needed by grub, written to a part of your system grub cannot reach for whatever reason.

Which is unfortunate and is a GRUB/kernel issue.