Re: mounting a ZIP drive

On Sat, Aug 18, 2007 at 09:14:00PM -0400, Michael Klinosky wrote:
> I'm trying to get a ZIP drive working - but can't get to square 1.
> Basically, it seems like the system doesn't see the drive. I believe
> that the bios found it (when I booted it, it put up a message about a
> new drive). I have F7.
>
> It's an IDE (or is it ATAPI - I'm not that well versed in that
> technology), internal, 250 Meg drive. It's on the secondary ide buss, as
> the slave (an optical drive is the master).
>
> On the first boot, I didn't have a disk in; I put a disk in and rebooted
> - still no sign that it's been seen by the OS.
>
> I used the Google/linux search, and found a bunch of websites about
> installing zip drives - but they all assume that things go wonderfully.
> I did find one that really explained things -
> http://comptechdoc.org/os/linux/manual3/floppy.html
>
> I used 'modprobe imm'.
>
> I tried this:
> dmesg | grep zip
> dmesg | grep removable
> Both had null hits.
>
> dmesg > /tmp/dmesg
> I then read thru it line-by-line - nothing that seemed relevant.
>
> What might be wrong? Or, what can I try to figure it out?

I have no idea whether libsata supports zip drives or not. But here is
what I would do, modified for use on F7.

Before you run "modprobe imm", insert a disk. Then set up "tail -f
/var/log/messages" in another terminal. Then run the modprobe
command. The output from imm should show up in the output from
/var/log/messages. The driver should find a device and assign it as
sdX, meaning /dev/sdX. Then run

fdisk -l /dev/sdX

(substituting for X as appropriate).

That should tell you what partitions are on the thing.