External Hard Drive Problem

I'm using FC6 on a 64-bit Athlon system. I have a 160mb external USB
hard drive connected as /dev/sda1. The ACOMDATA drive is a year or two
old - I use it to record HDTV as transport files and then play them back
with xine or mplayer. I've been doing this since I bought the drive. All
of a sudden today when I started playback, xine would freeze and the
hard drive led would display red for long periods of time. When I try to
unmount the drive, I get an error message that data is being written to
the drive but I can't find any applications that are accessing the
drive. I get the same exact behavior after re-booting and after
connecting the drive to an FC6 32-bit laptop. The red led even comes on
in the same manner when the drive is unmounted. I did fsck on the drive:

[root@localhost /]# fsck /dev/sda1
fsck 1.39 (29-May-2006)
e2fsck 1.39 (29-May-2006)
/dev/sda1 has been mounted 160 times without being checked, check
forced.
Pass 2: Checking directory structure
Pass 3: Checking directory connectivity
Pass 4: Checking reference counts
Pass 5: Checking group summary information
/dev/sda1: 20/19546112 files (0.0% non-contiguous), 31719459/39071962
blocks

This drive never did this before and the other ACOMDATA drive never has
done this. Xine and mplayer work fine on transport files stored on the
internal system hard drive. I don't see any problems reported by fsck.
Any ideas on what is wrong? Is the drive dying?