Dell 2950 and/or Perc 5i issues

Hi,

I’ve recently acquired some Dell PowerEdge 2950 servers.  I loaded Fedora Core 6 on them fine, did a yum update and much to my surprise the box kernel panics on boot.  I haven’t loaded anything else on the box, other than a stock OS.

I did some investigation and determined the issue only occurs with the latest (2.6.22.1-32) kernel.  It did not occur with 2.6.20 or 2.6.18.  It seems that the drivers for the Perc 5i controller (megaraid_sas) is seeing through the BIOS of the controller and showing all 6 disks rather than one logical volume.  Since the volume is actually RAID 10, it cannot mount the root filesystem.

This problem seem very similar to one detailed in an older kernel on the Ubuntu bug tracker:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-source-2.6.15/+bug/55138

I also noticed that the bug has a patch applied in Ubuntu:

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-source-2.6.15/+bug/57265

Is this issue known in the Fedora world?  What do you suggest I do to resolve it?  Is this the appropriate list for this, or is there another one that would be more pertinent?  Why would the Ubuntu patch not be also applied to the FC6 kernel, wouldn’t it have patched the kernel.org kernel and shouldn’t it have made its way over to Fedora? Or, could this be a new issue?  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks,

--

Daniel Jabbour

Network / Sytems Engineer

Intronis Technologies