Re: intel DQ965GF and nVidia PCI woes

On 1 Aug 2007, at 16:25, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

michael wrote:
On Wed, 2007-08-01 at 15:26 +0100, Ian Malone wrote:

I'm pretty sure it will take an ext graphics card. It is indeed for
dual-head that I wish to use this card (I've used it and 'nv' (under
Debian) in the past.

Runlevel 3 hangs... does some ACPI, does some agpgart then hangs. Can't
see an obvious error message

But which driver? From the initial description it sounds like things are going south well before X even starts up, and a graphics card this
old has worked fine under vesa, nv & nvidia X drivers for ages now.

yes, it's before we get to X. I'm wondering if its a detection of SATA and PCI issue...

anybody out there got this mobo and used PCI okay or had to do workaround?

thanks, Michael

The system boots fine with the onboard video, but not with the
nVidia card added, right? Will the system boot Linux from one of the
live CDs, or any other OS with the nVidia card installed? Even
though it should not happen, it could be the card is not compatible
with the motherboard. (Or you may need a BIOS update...) Remember,
there are more then one AGV "standard". (Different speeds, 1.5V and
3.3V cards, etc...)

After much messing about, I've discovered that appending
 agp=off
allows me to boot into runlevel 3 with the nVidia card installed. It therefore appears there's some problem within (Fedora's?) agpgart (?) when nVidia card is chosen. Anybody any ideas how to proceed from here -- let me know what addition detilas you need.

Thanks, M

kernel: 2.6.22.1-41.fc7 on Intel Core2 Duo