Re: Netstat command Mythtv Help

[TOP POSTING REOORDERED]

On 8/17/07, Paul Ward <pnward@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 17/08/07, Rick Stevens <rstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Thu, 2007-08-16 at 22:45 +0100, Paul Ward wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > Can someone explain to me what the netstat command is showing on my server.
> > > Is mythtv making outgoing connections or are they incoming?
> > > Is this something to worry about?
> > >
> > > tcp        0      0 mythtv:49189
> > > 213.red-83-60-5:privatechat ESTABLISHED
<SNIP>

> > > r190-64-194-173.dialup:3977 ESTABLISHED
> > > tcp        0      0 mythtv:49189
> > > 116.46.rev.vline:valisys-lm ESTABLISHED
> >
> > Sure looks like you got hacked.  Someone's running a server on your
> > machine that a lot of people are connected to.  It's listening on
> > port 49189, so do a "netstat -lpn" and find which process that is and
> > KILL THE DAMNED THING.  You'd better do a rootkit scan while you're
> > at it.
> I have run chkrootkit, and nothing has been picked up.
> I also stopped the mythtv backend and it seems these connections have dropped.
> Could these connections be normal for mythtv?
Please do not top post. Please trim all the stuff you are not replying
to. You need to read up on mythtv to see whether all those connections
are necessary. My guess is that has to do with streaming channels from
multiple sources. I don't do mythtv. You need a tv license in the UK
for any TV and I don't have a tv. I'm cheap like that.

ne...
Certified: 75% bastard, 42% of which is tard.
http://www.thespark.com/bastardtest
Now accepting personal mail for GMail invites.