Re: Interesting network problem

Konstantin Svist:
>> Normally, DHCP takes care of these little problems.. but if you're not
>> using it (and using static IP config instead), just use the GUI utility
>> system-config-network - it should set all these values correctly

David G. Mackay:
> It is a static address, so DHCP is not appropriate.  And, I suppose,
> system-config-network would accept the gateway and ip addresses.

Even on systems using static addresses, some still use DHCP to
automatically configure you with your static details.  It simplifies
things for ISPs with clients unfamiliar with networking.  It also takes
care of things that do change, like name servers, gateways, etc., even
if your IP remains static.  It might be worth checking if your ISP does
that.

--
[tim@bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.22.1-41.fc7 i686 i386