Re: Interesting network problem

Konstantin Svist wrote:
David G. Mackay wrote:
On Thu, 2007-08-16 at 14:46 -0700, Konstantin Svist wrote:
David G. Mackay wrote:
I have a netopia 2241N dsl modem provided by my ISP (AT&T), which I
access through an ethernet port.  The unit can be configured in pass
through mode so that the public internet address is bridged, i.e. my
ethernet card is assigned the public address.  This has been working
well for some time now.

There was a network outage the other day, and when service was restored,
the gateway on the remote side had changed.  The fun part is that the
gateway is on a different class A ip net than my public ip.  I can
resolve all that by doing:
route add -net e.f.g.h netmask 255.0.0.0 dev ethx
route add default gw e.f.g.h
where e.f.g.h is the external gateway ip.
This borks up the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ethx scripting.

Is there a better way to handle this, other than kludging things in
rc.local?
Normally, DHCP takes care of these little problems.. but if you're not using it (and using static IP config instead), just use the GUI utility system-config-network - it
should set all these values correctly

It is a static address, so DHCP is not appropriate.  And, I suppose,
system-config-network would accept the gateway and ip addresses.  The
problem is that the gateway is on a different subnet than the ip by most
normal networking rules.  The modem doesn't show the netmask, so I
suppose that AT&T might have CIDRed a couple of class A addresses
together.  But, without that, the gateway will be unreachable until you
add the route add -net, which doesn't normally occur in the network init
scripts.

Dave

you get to write in any gateway in system-config-network, it's not limited to same subnet.

And you can add explicit routes there, too.  They _do_ get set up
by the networking scripts.

                Do NOT delete it.