Re: how does network install figure out 64-bit from 32-bit?

----- Original Message ----
From: Rick Stevens <rstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: For users of Fedora <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, August 15, 2007 8:15:05 PM
Subject: Re: how does network install figure out 64-bit from 32-bit?

On Wed, 2007-08-15 at 15:41 -0700, Globe Trotter wrote:

> [...]

Can you plug the FLASH into your system, then open it in nautilus?  You
should see a whole buncha stuff on it if it got written correctly, e.g.:

[root@prophead ~]# mount
<snip>
/dev/sdc on /media/disk type vfat
(rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,shortname=winnt,uid=500)

[root@prophead ~]# ls /media/disk
boot.msg     initrd.img    ldlinux.sys  param.msg   splash.jpg
vesamenu.c32
general.msg  isolinux.bin  options.msg  rescue.msg  syslinux.cfg
vmlinuz

If you see that stuff, then I doubt it's wonked up.  If it can boot on
another machine, then it may be your BIOS that doesn't like it for some
odd reason.  You can try to update it.

> Btw, a  different question: how do you know that that pops up as /dev/sdc for you in the blind world of Fedora? I have assumed that it does for me as /dev/sdb because if I were to mount it using nautilus, it shows up as /dev/sdb1.

You can watch the output of "tail -f /var/log/messages" as you plug it
in:

Aug 15 18:06:04 prophead kernel: usb 4-5: new high speed USB device
using ehci_hcd and address 8
Aug 15 18:06:04 prophead kernel: usb 4-5: configuration #1 chosen from 1
choice
Aug 15 18:06:04 prophead kernel: scsi4 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass
Storage devices
Aug 15 18:06:10 prophead kernel: scsi 4:0:0:0: Direct-Access
ST68022C F                0811 PQ: 0 ANSI: 0
Aug 15 18:06:10 prophead kernel: SCSI device sdc: 15625008 512-byte hdwr
sectors (8000 MB)
                                             ^^^
Aug 15 18:06:10 prophead kernel: sdc: test WP failed, assume Write
Enabled
Aug 15 18:06:10 prophead kernel: sdc: assuming drive cache: write
through
Aug 15 18:06:10 prophead kernel: SCSI device sdc: 15625008 512-byte hdwr
sectors (8000 MB)
Aug 15 18:06:10 prophead kernel: sdc: test WP failed, assume Write
Enabled
Aug 15 18:06:10 prophead kernel: sdc: assuming drive cache: write
through
Aug 15 18:06:10 prophead kernel:  sdc: unknown partition table
Aug 15 18:06:10 prophead kernel: sd 4:0:0:0: Attached scsi disk sdc
Aug 15 18:06:10 prophead kernel: sd 4:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg2
type 0
Aug 15 18:06:12 prophead hald: mounted /dev/sdc on behalf of uid 500
                               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

or look at the last bits of the output of "dmesg" after you plug it in:

usb 4-5: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 8
usb-storage: device found at 8
usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
scsi 4:0:0:0: Direct-Access     ST68022C F                0811 PQ: 0
ANSI: 0
SCSI device sdc: 15625008 512-byte hdwr sectors (8000 MB) <<---Here!
sdc: test WP failed, assume Write Enabled
sdc: assuming drive cache: write through
SCSI device sdc: 15625008 512-byte hdwr sectors (8000 MB) <<---Here too!
sdc: test WP failed, assume Write Enabled
sdc: assuming drive cache: write through
 sdc: unknown partition table
sd 4:0:0:0: Attached scsi disk sdc
sd 4:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg2 type 0
usb-storage: device scan complete

- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxx -
- CDN Systems, Internap, Inc.                http://www.internap.com -
-           This message printed using recycled bandwidth            -

Thanks, Rick, for looking into this. And indeed, the problem is my Thinkpad T61. I wonder if this is the same issue that Matthew Saltzman is reporting. The same USB flash boots fine on this other machine that I was using to copy the files from.

So, I guess, my hope at this point is that Lenovo will wake up and make their corrections.

Best wishes,
Trotter

Sick sense of humor? Visit Yahoo! TV's
http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/222