RE: how to get a specfile from an RPM

On Tue, 2007-08-14 at 17:24 -0600, Hale Boyes, Kevin wrote:
> Andy Green wrote:
> > Somebody in the thread at some point said:
> >
> >> Given an RPM, is there a way to get the spec file that was used to
> >> build it?
> >
> > There's a copy of the .spec file in the SRPM, not in the binary RPM.
>
> I can see the file when I query the SRPM but
> how do I extract the .spec file from the SRPM?
> hen
> Thanks,
Place the SRPM in /usr/sr/redhat/SRPMS
Then run : rpm -i <src rpm>
The spec file will show up in: /usr/src/redhat/SPECS

Once there was a marine biologist who loved dolphins. He spent his time
trying to feed and protect his beloved creatures of the sea. One day, in
a fit of inventive genius, he came up with a serum that would make
dolphins live forever! Of course he was ecstatic. But he soon realized
that in order to mass produce this serum he would need large amounts of
a certain compound that was only found in nature in the metabolism of a
rare South American bird. Carried away by his love for dolphins, he
resolved that he would go to the zoo and steal one of these birds.
Unbeknownst to him, as he was arriving at the zoo an elderly lion was
escaping from its cage. The zookeepers were alarmed and immediately
began combing the zoo for the escaped animal, unaware that it had simply
lain down on the sidewalk and had gone to sleep. Meanwhile, the marine
biologist arrived at the zoo and procured his bird. He was so excited by
the prospect of helping his dolphins that he stepped absentmindedly
stepped over the sleeping lion on his way back to his car. Immediately,
1500 policemen converged on him and arrested him for transporting a myna
across a staid lion for immortal porpoises.