Re: one more time -- broadcom wireless on f7

Martin Marques wrote:
Vivek J. Patankar wrote:
Robert P. J. Day wrote:
  at the risk of belabouring this issue (and i'm sure it's way too
late to be worried about that *now* :-), i'm still interested in
whether there's a known, reliable and deterministic way to get
wireless working on f7 (and, additionally, f8t1) on my laptop which
has a broadcom 4318 chip.

ndiswrapper is the way to go if you have a 4318. My laptop is a year old and has seen FCs 5-7 and only with FC7 has it been working. Is your laptop 64bit? If so, keep in mind that you need to use the 64bit version of the broadcom drivers (bcmwl564.inf). 32bit won't work.

Any link on where to download the driver? I don't seem to find it, or if I find it, it is a windows executable. :-(

Reading all the arguments and counter-arguments in the thread on the list, I have a very strong feeling that in the case of ndiswrapper it is not the how-to that matters. They all tell you do perform the same steps, more or less. IMHO, what matters is the actual driver that you use. I have an Acer Aspire 5004 NWLMi. The broadcom drivers that were bundled with the laptop never worked for me. The driver that it worked with came from an Acer Ferrari 4000 laptop.

"The version number of the driver that works on an Acer Aspire 5004 NWLMi (64bit) is 02/11/2005, 3.100.64.0. You can get it here[1]"

[1] ftp://ftp.work.acer-euro.com/notebook/ferrari_4000/driver/winxp64bit/80211g.zip

This is the kind of information that would be infinitely useful for those struggling to get their broadcom wireless to do what it's meant to do.

--
Regards,
विवेक ज. पाटणकर (Vivek J. Patankar)

Registered Linux User #374218